In November 2019, local Royal LePage Your Community Realty broker CAROLINE BAILE will be departing with a group of colleagues to trek across the Sahara Desert in Morocco to show their support for the Royal LePage Shelter Foundation. This group of ardent hikers - four groups totaling 120 Royal LePage professionals - will trek more than 100 km over five days, crossing difficult terrain in desert temperatures that dip to almost freezing at night. They will sleep in group tents and go without indoor plumbing, electricity, cell service and other comforts of home to raise funds for Canadian women’s shelters and programs to help end family violence.
The Sahara Desert Challenge for Shelter is a unique fundraising event in support of the Royal LePage Shelter Foundation which encourages Royal LePage agents from across Canada to raise funds and train for a physically, mentally and emotionally demanding experience.
CAROLINE BAILE has set a goal to raise $5,000 which will be donated to the Yellow Brick House in York Region. 80% of funds raised will go directly towards our local shelter, with the remaining 20% supporting domestic violence prevention programs across Canada; including those focused on youth, to help break the cycle of family violence.
This is a cause close to the heart for CAROLINE BAILE, and one she is very passionate about. “As realtors, helping people find their dream home is our job. A home is supposed to be a place of comfort, safely and love. Sadly, this is not the case for everyone in our community. Domestic Violence affects women and children across the country, regardless of geographics or demographics. Young, old, wealthy or oppressed; sadly, domestic violence is seen across the spectrum. Unlike illness which we have no control over, domestic violence is a cause we can bring an end to. Together we CAN make a difference! Every step we take and every dollar raised goes directly towards adding additional shelter beds so women and children are not turned away in their darkest hour.”
Sadly, on any given night in Canada close to 6,000 women and children are forced to stay in emergency shelter beds because it is not safe for them to stay at home. At the same time, hundreds are turned away each night as the shelters are full. Even more tragic is on average, every 6 days in Canada a woman is killed by her current or former partner! In too many cases woman go to their local shelter because they are literally running for their lives.
Half of all women in Canada have experienced at least one incident of physical or sexual violence since the age of 16.
- 67% of Canadians personally know a woman who has been abused.
- On average, every six days a woman in Canada is killed by her intimate partner. However, in the first eight months of 2018, a woman or girl was killed on average every other day, in most instances by a man she knew.
- 362,000 Canadian children are exposed to domestic violence each year.
- Shelters are critical to the safety and well-being of women and children fleeing domestic violence; the most dangerous time for a woman is when she leaves her abusive partner.
If you would like to donate, Click Here.
About Royal LePage Shelter Foundation
The Royal LePage Shelter Foundation is Canada’s largest public foundation dedicated exclusively to supporting women’s shelters and ending violence against women and children. Through agent commission donations and the fundraising activities of the Royal LePage network, over $27 million has been raised to help provide a safe haven and new beginnings to more than 50,000 women and children each year.
For further information, please contact:
CAROLINE BAILE, Broker - Royal LePage Your Community Realty
416.788.2700 | CarolineBaile@me.com | www.CarolineBaile.com
Instagram: @CarolineBaileTeam | Facebook: @CarolineBaileRealEstate | Twitter: @CarolineBaile1
#HikingForHER #BreakTheCycle #TrekForShelter